Thursday, April 8, 2010

Have You Drawn a Bird Today?

Quick, you still have a few hours! Yes, it's April 8, a.k.a. Draw a Bird Day, the day set aside each year to try your hand at a little avian art. According to Wikipedia, DAB Day was started in the '40s as a morale booster and continues today (it's unclear why drawing birds was thought to boost morale - perhaps spending time in the great outdoors or simply the fact that it was an activity with little or no associated cost?). The drawings can be any media and any skill level - this is one time when effort is the most important factor. I don't know why I even said that . . . of course there are no rules.

Flickr has several sets of DAB Day pics - check one out here. Some cities, like Hartford, have their own ways to mark the day and, of course, there's a Facebook page (if you visit, don't miss the charming French drawing guide). And for a little professional inspiration look to Dr. Seuss and John James Audubon (click here to see this chromolithograph appraised on Antiques Roadshow!).

So, I'm off to draw a bird . . . how about you?

1 comment:

  1. This is new to me, but the star-bellied Sneeches aren't. They were an important source of my world view, along with Audubon. I don't think I can draw a very good bird though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails