Thursday, February 18, 2010

"I'm serving the crumbliest bread . . ." she thought

And what kind of dastardly plan is a host or hostess hatching when bread is selected based on its crumbliness? A not-so-subtle plan to use this lovely crumber!

When sterling flatware was at its height, there were specialized pieces for every imaginable purpose. The crumber is an excellent example, a large item with a singular role - removing crumbs from the table. It would be used between courses to gather the crumbs and leave the table clean for the next course.

This crumber was made in 1910 and is English. Many American silver patterns of this time included crumbers and you can easily find them online and in antique shops. Many have lovely monograms like the 'M. D.' seen above.

This one has an ivory handle and is about 12" - the hallmarks on the reverse tell us when and where it was created. It was an eBay purchase and rather inexpensive because there is a small crack in the handle; it doesn't affect the use of the crumber, however, so I don't mind.

To see other crumber examples, check out the Antique Cupboard. You might find one you can't live without - and then you'll be hoping for messy diners, too!

3 comments:

  1. O.K., so now I need one of those too. And I need a new white linen table cloth to go with it...and...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine - I can picture the crumber scooping up a big stack of postcards . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful piece! We always used crumbers when I worked in fine dining establishments. They were not nearly as beautiful as this one, but I always thought they added such an air of elegance.

    (I "borrowed" one of your photos from last week and added it to my post today with a link to your blog. Hope this is okay, please let me know if its not. Thanks.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails