Monday, December 14, 2009

Sometimes Selfishness Is Its Own Reward

Okay, so that sentiment is not exactly in keeping with the spirit of the season. But, as Mr. Monk would say, "here's what happened . . ."

In the late '80s I purchased a set of eight brass Santas - as seen above. (You remember those brass-crazed years, with the brass switchplate covers, faucets, etc.?) My plan was to use these to decorate Christmas packages - think how pretty that could have been, red or green foil with a shiny Santa on top! From the photos, you can guess how this turned out - I decided to keep them instead and they've been decorating my trees ever since.

Each year when I unpack them, I remember my original plan. But, then I think how cheery they've been nestled amongst the other ornaments and I'm glad I kept them; after all, eight Santas must be better than one! Mr. Pickle, however, disagrees and looks at me askance as I hang each Santa. And if your tree doesn't have a pickle, you really should get one - the (possibly dubious!) tradition is that you hide it on the tree and the first child to spot it on Christmas morning gets a special gift. Our pickle is slightly scary so perhaps his special gift will be a lump of coal!

On a slightly less selfish note, this little snowman baker was part of a set spotted at Williams-Sonoma a few years ago. I was shopping with a friend and both of us wanted these - but there was only one set. So, we purchased it and each took two - then the next year she found another set in a post-holiday sale (!) and we divided that set as well. Now we each have all four and a fun reminder of our friendship. Plus, this little snowman gives a clue as to what I'll be doing later this week - more holiday baking!

Hope you have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. I have a number of pickle ornaments, but nothing like yours. What a great face!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails