Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Mararoon Madness!

As you might guess from reading this blog, I like desserts. I bet you do, too! So, I'm asking - do you like macaroons? Not the macaroons of your childhood - those mounds of crunchy-chewy coconut:

I can't remember the last time I had a coconut macaroon, maybe it's time to whip up a batch. I've never made them, but they're very simple. Martha Stewart has a yummy recipe (seen in the photo above), as does Ina Garten. But, coconut macaroons are not our topic; these are:

The French macaroon - much more delicate and very, very popular. I like the idea of these macaroons - beautiful colors, creamy fillings, the just-right size, a name that's fun-to-say (you're trying it now, aren't you? ma-ca-roooooon). But, that's where the love ends . . . I don't really like the taste. I don't dislike it; they just seem more pretty than yummy. Am I the only one who doesn't 'get' macaroons?

If I did like them and I found myself in New Orleans, I would purchase a selection like the one seen above at sucre - aren't they lovely? As it is, though, I'll opt for some of sucre's other delicious offerings.

Another day we can chat about other desserts that baffle me - like bread pudding! Until, I'd love to know if you like macaroons . . .

3 comments:

  1. The French macarons are a true weakness of mine. When they are good, they are sublime. When not, then they are just a sweet thing. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had French macaroons, but I do love the ones I grew up on. They look similar to ones by Martha. We also had haystacks, the same thing but with cocoa powder added in and the coconut was toasted. Mmm…now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Macarons (the little French things) can be really great, and can use lots of different flavors. They're more meringue than cookie. Macaroons are made with condensed milk and coconut, a completely different cookie.

    I can't take coconut at all, so I don't like the latter, but there some macarons that are really great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails